Watch the video above and talk about it with your group or mentor. Learn more
Pastors need to be aware of how they are shaped by different cultural environments, which affect how they think about and do ministry.
- The importance of cultural intelligence.
- Understanding culture.
- Cultural domains that affect ministry.
Revelation 7:9-10 After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands. And they were shouting with a great roar, “Salvation comes from our God who sits on the throne and from the Lamb!”
See Also: Culture
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What aspects of your childhood neighborhood and hometown do you most appreciate? How have these defined your expectations of how “things ought to be?”
- What was your church or nonchurch experience from birth to adulthood? How would you describe the religious culture of your upbringing? What aspects of it can you affirm? What parts do you challenge?
- In what ways might your childhood experiences have positively and negatively affected your current vision of the church?
- How might your childhood experiences have affected your perspective on leadership in the church?
- How long have you been involved in your current organization? How would you list the cultural nuances of your denomination or organization?
- What issues tend to be of most concern at the organization level? What things are most celebrated at the organization level?
- What are the demographics of your area: the education levels, occupations, employment rates, and lifestyles? In what ways is discrimination in any form evident?
- What are the ethnicities represented in your community? What are their cultural distinctives? How could your ministry welcome and celebrate some of these cultural distinctives?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Cultural Intelligence for Pastors series.