Watch the video above and talk about it with your group or mentor. Learn more.
View the countdown video for this sermon. Download the sermon slides and/or the sermon slides in Spanish. View the handout for this sermon in English and in Spanish.
Our national freedom depends on the sacrifice of many great soldiers; our eternal freedom depends on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
- Remember his selfless acts of service (Matthew 20:28).
- Remember the cost of his ultimate sacrifice (John 15:13).
- Remember that true freedom is found in Christ (John 8:36).
Matthew 20:28 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.
See Also: Holiday Sermons
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- How do you typically celebrate Memorial Day?
- What are some of the freedoms that we enjoy in the U.S. you are thankful for? How would you feel if those freedoms were taken from you? Explain.
- Read Matthew 20:28. What were some of the ways Jesus served people? Explain.
- Why is serving others so difficult?
- Read John 15:12-13. Would you give your life for someone else? Explain.
- Besides giving up your life for someone, what are some ways that you can love others well?
- Read Galatians 5:13. Why should our freedom in Christ lead us to a life of love for one another and our neighbors?
- Read Romans 8:1-2. Why is Jesus’s death and resurrection the ultimate source of freedom for us?
- If you are a Christian, describe your freedom in Jesus Christ. What does this freedom mean to you?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.