It can be helpful to think about your group in seasons. This can help you to determine how to conduct your group and how to work into the next season. Let’s talk about what those seasons are.
- Season 1 is for connecting. This is when you are just starting up and becoming invitational. Jesus had a season like this as well. Jesus was simply invitational. We should live by his example and invite others to join us. We should build connections with other believers.
John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Come, follow me.”
- Season 2 is for challenging. You will reach a point where you can share truth into the lives of the people in your group. You won’t grow as a group if you just discuss topics that you all fully understand and are completely comfortable with. In order for those in your group to find growth, you must challenge each other. These challenges will prepare the people in your group for the third season of your group.
- Season 3 is for commissioning. This is where you prepare to branch out and start other groups or mentoring relationships. Healthy groups are outwardly focused, while unhealthy groups focus inwardly.
John 15:5,8 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.
Jesus intends for us to keep him mission moving forward. He has commissioned us to reach out to the people who need help.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What season is your group currently in? Explain what that means for your group.
- What are the difficulties that occur with each season?
- What steps do you need to take in order to move into the next season?
- How do these seasons relate to the three truths of Foundations?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.