When it comes to helping others pursue God, it’s important to develop your skills and experience. Take advantage of the training and team building tools at pursueGOD.org. But even more important is learning to develop an attitude of dependence on Jesus Christ.
The secret is Jesus
If you want to make a difference in the lives of others for eternity, it will take Jesus working through you. And he absolutely promises that he will as you live in dependence him.
John 15:4-5 (NLT) Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Jesus promises that his life will flow through us to bear fruit. Our part is to “remain” in him. That means your most important preparation is prayer. Prayer is how you stay connected with Jesus as a branch is connected to the vine. It’s how you live out your dependence on him. This includes prayer for yourself and for the people in your group.
You can succeed!
Don’t be overwhelmed by the challenge of leading others. You have many reasons to be hopeful and encouraged.
- You have the training and resources of the pursueGOD.org library.
- You’re part of a team. You have a small group leader or coach (perhaps your pastor) who can help you along the way. You have co-leaders, and leaders of other small groups, to lean on.
- Your capacity will grow through preparation and experience. Remember, it’s a process. As you stick with it, you will get better over time.
- Most importantly, God does great things through ordinary people who rely on him. You can do this!
Even as you improve your skills and gain experience, stay in close connection to and dependence on Jesus. That’s the real secret of being an effective leader. That’s also the number one concept you can pass on to others.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Read John 15:4-5. In what ways is Jesus like a vine and are we like branches?
- How does prayer help you stay connected to Jesus?
- What are some of the issues that make you feel less than confident about being a small group leader?
- What are the reasons why you don’t need to be intimidated as a small group leader?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.