Watch the video above and talk about it with your group or mentor. Learn more.
How to encourage quieter people to participate in small group discussions.
- Create a positive, affirming environment.
- Be inclusive.
- Break the ice.
- Talk to them privately.
The group is enriched when everyone contributes as they learn and process God’s truth. Don’t settle for hearing from the same few people week after week. Help your quieter members to share.
See Also: Series for Small Groups
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- When you’re not leading the discussion, are you more inclined to speak up or sit back and listen? Explain.
- What are some reasons why people don’t share their thoughts in the group discussion?
- Think of some ways to discourage quiet people from speaking up.
- Think of some ways to encourage quiet people to talk.
- Why is it worth it to make an effort to encourage quiet people to share in the group?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.