Even seasoned pastors mess up from time to time, but that doesn’t mean we should quit on our ministries. Pastors Mark Dever, James Macdonald, and Matt Chandler share some wisdom in this Gospel Coalition conversation.
- Mark Dever made an error when he accidentally undermined his own message about the Widow’s Mite (Luke 21:1-4). In this story, Jesus says that the poor widow, who gave a small amount of money as an offering at the Jerusalem temple, was giving more than the rich people who gave much because she gave sacrificially out of the little she had. Pastor Dever undermined the spiritual significance of the words of Jesus Himself! Oops!
- Matt Chandler came into conflict with two women when he began entertaining questions from the audience on the doctrine of Original Sin.
- James Macdonald’s problem is he can’t stop using sports metaphors. He risks losing the attention of most of his congregation when he speaks in terms they can’t understand.
- God even uses preachers who make mistakes.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Have you ever said or done something silly in front of a group of people? Share as you are comfortable.
- Do you think Pastor Chandler was wise to entertain questions from the congregation during his message? Explain why or why not.
- The second woman in Pastor Chandler’s story quoted Genesis 1:31: “It was very good.” What did Chandler mean when he said, “Keep reading, Mama”?
- Have you been in a situation where you were trying to talk to someone and realized they didn’t understand you at all? Share as you are comfortable.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.