Hiding Behind a Job Description
When a person says that something isn’t their job, what they are really saying is, “That’s not in my job description.” Usually, every role at church has a job description attached to it so that people know what to do and how to serve on a team. A ministry job description helps people focus on the roles and responsibilities that need to be fulfilled. It helps them know that they are doing the right thing the right way.
However, you don’t want people to be motivated by their job description. If they are bound by their job description, they will never look for ways to help or lead outside of what is written out for them. You want people to be motivated by the church’s mission and vision. Every person on a team, no matter what their official job is, needs to feel the responsibility of helping people pursue God.
Understanding the Big Picture of Serving
When someone joins a ministry team, it is important that they understand the principle of serving at church. There are many things that need to be done at church that fall outside of a person’s job description. People need to learn to take ownership, not just for their area of ministry, but for the overall mission of the church. A person or team succeeds when the whole church succeeds.
Focus on Helping
Whether you are the team leader or a new member of a team, be proactive about helping. Talk with your team leader or mentor about practical ways that you can go above and beyond your job description in order to help the church. And if you hear someone say, “That’s not my job,” encourage them to be an owner and take responsibility for the overall health of the church.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What is often behind the statement, “It’s not my job”?
- Why is it important to look for ways to help at church outside of your official role?
- How can you spread an attitude that is willing to help no matter what the task that needs to be done?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.