This topic is adapted from the PursueGOD Worship YouTube channel.
When many of us hear ‘worship God’, we equate it to corporate, musical worship in a church service. While this is an important aspect of worship, it is only one of many ways we can ascribe worth to God.
Romans 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice–the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
God desires that we give him our full attention, adoration, and time. Everything we do in life should be an act of worship to him because of all he has done for us. In John 4, Jesus calls us to “Worship in Spirit and in Truth.” Jesus tells us that we are to worship the truth of who he is no matter where we are and no matter what we are doing.
While there are many ways to worship God outside of musical worship, lets look at three key ways we can worship God with our whole lives: prayer, service, and giving.
Prayer is very important to God because it is a way for us to love him back through communication. Chronicles 16:28 says, “Ascribe to the LORD the glory due to His Name…” God wants us to directly come before him and recognize all he has done for us. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 tells us to never stop praying. This means that we should be constantly communicating with God in prayer throughout our day.
This not only includes how we serve in our church, but how we serve people outside of it. If we are followers of Jesus, we are following a servant. Galatians 5:13 commands us to serve one another in love. When we choose to intentionally love and serve other people, we are also loving and serving God. Always be looking for ways to serve more in your church, community, and family.
There are countless Bible verses about how we give; but they inherently have the same message: Give to others because God gave to you. While giving financially is very important, money is not the only thing that you can give. We can also give of our time and our talents. Regardless of what we’re are giving, here are three tips to help us give well:
- Give Sacrificially
- Give Regularly
- Give Proportionately
God has blessed us with many things, so he is pleased when we turn around and give to others. It doesn’t matter how much money, time, or talents we have, we can all give something. Only you know how generous you can be with the things that God has given you.
You can worship God with your life in these ways, as well as countless others. If you are unsure how to worship him throughout each day, begin by asking in prayer.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What do you think of when you hear the word ‘worship’?
- Why should we worship God more than just at church? What will our life look like if we only worship God at church?
- Read John 4: 19-26. Based on this verse, what does it mean to worship God in spirit and in truth? How does this have an effect on our day to day lives?
- Which is the easiest for you to do: praying, serving, or giving? Which is hardest for you? Explain.
- What are some other ways you can worship God in your life?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.