Here’s a step-by-step guide for setting up an android tablet for your Kids Church large group time. (Want to try another platform? You can also use an iPad with Keynote app or a laptop with presentation software.)
Step 1: Choosing your tablet
You’ll need an Android tablet with HDMI out so you can connect it to your TV or projector. Be sure to use a high speed HDMI cable (choose the shortest length that will work for you). Here are a few of our tablet recommendations:
- The Nexus 7 (2013 version) we highly recommend the Analogix slimport adapter.
- The Insignia Flex 10 inch tablet with micro HDMI adapter.
- The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 with MHL adapter.
Step 2: Setting up your tablet
You’ll need to install three apps to use your tablet for large group in Kids Church.
- The Chrome app. This is the browser we like for accessing pursueGOD.org.
- The ES File Explorer app. This app will allow you to extract the “slides” folder so you can use the slides in the presentation.
- The Multimedia Slides Creator app (called “Quick Slides”). This is the actual presentation application that you’ll be using to display your slides and videos.
Step 3: Downloading your files for each week’s lesson
All of the items for download are located at the bottom of the lesson page in the “Youth & Kids Resources” tab. Click to download each of the following items:
- Large Group Script. This is for your large group leader to use during Large Group time.
- Large Group Slides. These slides are numbered according to the Large Group Script. Remember – once you download the “Slides” folder, you’ll need to extract it using the ES File Explorer app.
- Kids Video(s). These will be played during Large Group (see Script). You might need to long-click on the link to download the video.
Step 4: Creating your presentation
Open up your “Quick Slides” app (Multimedia Slides Creator) to build the Large Group presentation on your tablet. Here’s how:
- Create a new presentation and give it a name.
- Click “add items” to add your slides. Watch the video to see how.
- Click “add items to add your videos.
- Note: We recommend downloading your own mp4 worship videos to enhance your large group time (our recommendations are in the script each week). We do not offer these resources yet, so you’ll have to get them from a third-party source. Just make sure to buy videos in mp4 format (or convert them) so your tablet can display them.
- Order your items according to the Large Group Script. To move an item, click on the slide or video and choose “Move”.