Coaching expert Bob Logan said, “Good coaching isn’t the art of giving good answers. It’s the art of asking good questions.” There are many great results that happen when we learn to ask questions instead of just giving input or advice.
- It will help you listen.
- It will keep you from talking too much.
- It will give you needed information.
- It will show that you value the other person.
Here are a few ways that you can use the skill of asking questions.
- Use questions to connect relationally.
- Use questions to cause leaders to reflect.
- Use questions to help leaders refocus.
- Invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.