Watch the video above and talk about it with your group or mentor. Learn more
The fundamental job of the worship team is to point people to Jesus, the only one worthy of our worship.
- On any worship team, Jesus is the focus. Colossians 1:15-17
- Worship is a response to the God who deserves our praise. Isaiah 25:1
- Cultivating a welcoming environment is a critical component of drawing people to Jesus. John 13:35
- In order to help others pursue God, we should do everything we can to eliminate distractions. 1 Corinthians 14:9
Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
See Also: Worship Teams
Talk About It
- What’s your favorite part of the video? What’s one thing you learned from it?
- Why should Jesus be the central focus in worship? Do you agree with this concept?
- Read John 4:23-24. Where do we discover truth about God? Why is truth so important when it comes to worship? Why is worship the right response when we see the truth about God?
- In one or two sentences, how would you define worship? What have been the primary sources that have shaped your understanding of worship?
- Read Hebrews 12:1-2. What are some of the “weights” that can slow us down when it comes to worshipping God on stage? What about off stage?
- How is being a part of a worship team potentially dangerous for our pride? How can we practically guard against pride and keep the attention on Jesus?
- How can you practically show love to those in your church body by being part of a worship team?
- How does love motivate us as believers to see things from someone else’s perspective in order to help them encounter God?
- After reading this, what are some things you are now aware of in a service which might be awkward to a visitor that you might not have thought of before?
- What positive changes can you make in leading on the worship teams so that guests feel welcomed and not alienated in the service?
- Read Colossians 4:5-6. Describe what does it mean to act wisely toward outsiders?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
This is part of the Worship Teams 101 series.